We’re replaying the Best of Heavy Flow while we’re on hiatus over the holidays! Subscribe to Heavy Flow on your favourite podcast player and sign-up for my weekly newsletter to get new episodes when we’re back in the new year.
Jessica Dixon, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, joins me to share what the hell adaptogens are and how we can use them to support our hormonal health. Plus Jessica shares a recipe for energy bites for happy hormones.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
What we discussed:
- What is an adaptogen and how do they work?
- The difference between adaptogens and adaptogenic herbs
- How adaptogens promote hormonal health by supporting the HPA-axis
- Why adaptogens are supportive and not a silver bullet for health and wellness
- Adaptogens for happy hormones: maca, ashwagandha, reishi, holy basil/tulsi, shatavari, he shou wu + shizandra berry
- How did get adaptogens into your daily rotation in smoothies, elixirs, bites and more
- Where to buy good quality adaptogens and how to store them
Connect with Jessica:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Selected studies: ashwagandha, adaptogens + stress, ashwagandha + anxiety, maca, schisandra + rhodiola, adaptogens + the nervous system
ENERGY BITE FOR HAPPY HORMONES
Recipe by Jessica Dixon, RHN
¾ cup raw cashews
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tbs raw cacao powder
1 Tbs goji berry
½ cup dates, soaked
1 tsp Ashwagandha
1 tsp He Shou Wu
1 tsp Maca
2 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture sticks together when pinched (about a minute), scraping down sides as needed.
Turn out mixture onto a baking sheet and roll into balls using your hands, makes about 15 inch balls. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
Balls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about two weeks or in the freezer for up to a month.
Enjoy one daily for a quick and easy afternoon pick me up. These are a great supportive little snack for happy hormones throughout your cycle.
Subscribe & leave a review:
If you’re into Heavy Flow, please subscribe in iTunes and write a review – that’s the best way to support the show and help others find this podcast!
Music Credit: Julia and Bradley of Home Studios
Graphic Design: Rachel Laird