This week I’m talking to Jenna Lovell, founder of My Missing Factor, about her experience with Von Willebrand disease, how it affects her menstrual and overall health, and the gender disparity in bleeding disorder treatment.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
This episode of Heavy Flow is supported by Diva Cup, a sustainable, easy-to-use, cost-effective and eco-friendly menstrual cup.
What we discussed:
- How Jenna’s horrific early periods led to her to be diagnosed with Von Willebrand disease (VWD)
- The common symptoms of VWD
- How VWD affects your menstrual health without being a reproductive disorder or disease
- The gender disparity in bleeding disorder treatment
- Why the birth control pill is often prescribed to women with bleeding disorders, despite factor therapy being the gold standard of treatment
- The blood taboo
- How fertility awareness helped Jenna better understand and manage her bleeding disorder
- Sex and sexuality with a bleeding disorder
Connect with Jenna:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Heavy Flow Episode 6 with Jessica Murnane
Women Who Bleed
“What is Normal?” Part One, WWB Period Video Logs
Subscribe & leave a review:
If you’re into Heavy Flow, please subscribe in iTunes and write a review – that’s the best way to support the show and help others find this podcast!
Music Credit: Julia and Bradley of Home Studios
Graphic Design: Rachel Laird