We’re replaying the Best of Heavy Flow while we’re on hiatus over the summer! Subscribe to Heavy Flow on your favourite podcast player and sign-up for my weekly newsletter to get new episodes when we’re back in the fall.
Today I’m talking to Dr. Lara Briden, naturopathic doctor and author of the Period Repair Manual. We are going back to basics and learning all the things we didn’t back in health class: what a normal menstrual cycle and period is like, the importance of ovulation, using your period as a monthly health report card and why you should care about your ovulatory health even if you’re not interested in having a baby.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
What we discussed:
- Why ovulation and menstrual health is important beyond baby making
- The various phases of the menstrual cycle and what’s normal for each
- How to recognize signs of ovulation
- What are anovulatory cycles and some of the causes behind them
- The difference between your period and the bleed you get on hormonal birth control
- How long a period should be and what your flow should look like in terms of colour, clotting and volume
- Some of the causes of period pain and when to know that your pain goes beyond normal
- Your period as a monthly health report card and how you can interpret it
- Why getting off sugar is the key to regular ovulation
Connect with Lara:
Period Repair Manual
Resources mentioned in this episode:
I receive an affiliate commission from some of the links above.
Subscribe & leave a review:
If you’re into Heavy Flow, please subscribe in iTunes and write a review – that’s the best way to support the show and help others find this podcast!
Music Credit: Julia and Bradley of Home Studios
Graphic Design: Rachel Laird